SharePoint is great for document management and has been sold as a document management and storage system since 2001.
Microsoft responded early to the coming age of data overload. SharePoint was created to manage your documents at your company.
“As I talk with organizations around the world, it is clear they are not coping with the explosion of digital data – and that manifests itself as employees struggle to find and act on the information they need,” Microsft CEO Satya Nadella recently said.
According to Microsoft you can do the following with SharePoint:
- Store, organize, and locate documents.
- Ensure the consistency of documents.
- Manage metadata for documents.
- Help protect documents from unauthorized access or use.
- Ensure consistent business processes (workflows) for how documents are handled.
We see four other benefits of SharePoint
1. Security: If you are managing by email, then chances are you’re blasting your company with sensitive information. Management by email is not only cumbersome and ineffective, it’s also not secure. From a security perspective, it’s a lot safer to leave important documents behind a firewall where employees can get it when they need instead of sending it through email.
2. Single Sign On: SharePoint is also great at giving you access to all the apps you need with one sign on. Instead of continuously signing into different systems and software, SharePoint is your single sign on.
3. Version History: Again… if you’re managing by email, there is a better way. Another thing that SharePoint can really help with is version history. Sometimes in corporate environments, a document will be emailed back and forth and it gets difficult to determine which is the most up to date version. With SharePoint, you can even check out documents, have employees edit, and check them back into SharePoint.
4. Automation: According to Microsoft, a SharePoint workflow is like an automated flowchart that takes a lot of the labor, guesswork, and randomness out of standard work processes. SharePoint can ensure employee have gotten the appropriate approval and take the guesswork out of work.
HingePoint covers the AEC Industry and is the author of The AEC Industry 4.0 Report and the Autodesk Industry Report 2017. HingePoint helps construction and real estate development companies take control of their company’s information. We combine systems, software, and data so all company information can be seen and accessed from one screen, like a smartphone or computer.
HingePoint provides AutoDesk, SharePoint and Saleforce consulting for the Commercial Real Estate and Construction companies. HingePoint also helps the AEC industry with development & integration of AutoDesk products with enterprise systems. As members of the AutoDesk Development Network, we are a trusted partner with over 25 years experience of systems development and integration work in the AEC industry. Our clients range from top hotel brands and restaurant chains to AEC firms and real estate developers and Facilities Management. We provide BIM with ROI. Results Guaranteed…Literally Guaranteed.
2300 McDermott Road STE 200-235, Plano, TX 75025