We get a lot of calls from companies thinking about, or building, Revit 3D Families or libraries. As members of the Autodesk Developers Network, we are blessed to get in on these conversations early and often. When we are in early, things run smoothly.
Smoothly + no surprises + under budget and ahead of schedule… = The holy grail of 3D modeling and the Revit universe.
Developing proper Revit 3D content into families or libraries, is the key to Revit Deployment. See the example image of a Revit 3D Furniture model of a furniture assembly of a grouping of furniture. Each piece of furniture is modeled, put in the Furniture Family, placed in the Library and modeled as a furniture assembly.
If you are planning to be expert Revit users, you must plan to be expert at the following capabilities related to Revit Families;
The Big Three of Revit Families. Get these three right and it is smooth sailing, puncture your hull on one of these…smooth sinking. Why is being an expert in Developing, Maintaining and Distributing mission critical. Let me explain.
Revit only comes with limited generic Families and you need very specific products and construction components for your project.
Download our BIM Comparison Table here. See where you are on to the path to BIM. The idea to be fully digital while printing on-demand, fully automated and able to collaborate with virtually anyone on a project.
Need help with BIM integration?
You need to create the Revit content needed for your design before you start designing. See our blog article on Revit Content is King, for more information. The 3 main actions you may take:
- Get Revit Families from Vendors
- Create Your Own Content and Revit Families you current use across all projects. Remember to include your firms’ products or standard design assemblies
- Download Free Revit Family Libraries from reliable sources on the internet
You have the Solution, but there is a Challenge
OK, so each solution has a trade-off,… You could go with one, or you could pick a hybrid of the three. But not all models are the same. This furnture model assembly may look good, but what if it doens’t have the right information for you?
These are the most common trade-offs to consider:
- Geometric Detail – The complexity of 3D models are unique for different disciplines and for each purpose. Go with too much detail…You get large file sizes and slower performanc. Don’t model enough detail, you are not conveying the design solution fully. Both results are equally regrettable.
- Custom Parameters – Do the families you have, include all the parameters you need to drive your business process? Often custom parameters are needed in addition to the Out of the Box Revit parameters.
- Consistent Data Models – If you assemble Revit content from many sources, you might find inconsistencies in naming conventions, geometric detail, and use of parameters. Inconsistent components make it hard to schedule and do calculations within Revit. It will drive you crazy day to day.
If you want help wading through the challenges of creating clean Revit content. If you are building Revit Libraries to support you business processes….please contact us. You may like our blog on Content is King for Revit Families and 3D Modeling >>
We specialize in clean Revit content, clean Revit models and perfect Revit results to drive an efficient design and engineering process. Plus our work is guaranteed, literally…guaranteed. Contact us for more information.
GET STARTED TODAY!
HingePoint covers the AEC Industry and is the author of The AEC Industry 4.0 Report and the Autodesk Industry Report 2017. HingePoint helps construction and real estate development companies take control of their company’s information. We combine systems, software, and data so all company information can be seen and accessed from one screen, like a smartphone or computer.
HingePoint provides Procore, SharePoint and Saleforce consulting for Commercial Real Estate and Construction companies. HingePoint also helps the AEC industry with development & integration of AutoDesk and Procore products with enterprise systems. We are a trusted partner with over 25 years experience of systems development and integration work in the AEC industry. Our clients range from top hotel brands and restaurant chains to AEC firms and real estate developers and Facilities Management. We provide BIM with ROI. Results Guaranteed…Literally Guaranteed.